Thread

Index > Scribe > contact goups, templates, mail merge?
Author/Date contact goups, templates, mail merge?
Scott
27/07/2003 3:43pm
Hi,

I just got InScribe, and have begun to move over to this for my mail. I'll be using both the Linux and Windows versions. (I like the suggention of a relative path to the mail folder which was mentioned in another post).

Anyhow, on to my question. I noticed from another post how one can setup "contact groups" and send a mail to them. I created a message and saved it, so it's in my templates folder. But when I choose to send mail to my group, it creates a blank message. I don't have an option to use a template. I also tried right clicking on the contact subfolder (for my group) and tell it to use the "mail merge" option, I give it the file and it will create the message with text being the contents of my file. But I don't see anyone in the "to" section. (I'm attempting all of this on the Linux v1.86 Test30 version of InScribe, I haven't tried it in the Windows version yet)

Remember, I'm new to this...so I may have overlooked something, or am doing this wrong.

But is it possible to have a template email that you can send to a contact group? (whether the email is in the template folder, or is a text file for using mail merge with)

Scott

PS, I am already begining to love this program. Just what I was looking for...cross-platform, and portable.
fReT
27/07/2003 6:32pm
> I just got InScribe, and have begun to move over to this for my mail.
> I''ll be using both the Linux and Windows versions. (I like the
> suggention of a relative path to the mail folder which was mentioned in
> another post).

I've added some relitive path code for the next release. At least for files in the same directory as the executable.

> Anyhow, on to my question. I noticed from another post how one can setup
> "contact groups" and send a mail to them. I created a message and saved
> it, so it''s in my templates folder. But when I choose to send mail to my
> group, it creates a blank message. I don''t have an option to use a
> template. I also tried right clicking on the contact subfolder (for my
> group) and tell it to use the "mail merge" option, I give it the file and
> it will create the message with text being the contents of my file. But I
> don''t see anyone in the "to" section. (I''m attempting all of this on
> the Linux v1.86 Test30 version of InScribe, I haven''t tried it in the
> Windows version yet)

Currently "Mail merge with file" is setup to send hand written envelopes to people. I used this recently with a HTML mail out. It's not particularly useful to the average user. Although I may rewrite that to be more useful later on when Scribe supports more complex message formats.

The "Mail merge from template" is only half implemented and isn't currently connected to the UI. I've been spending my time recently trying to fix some bugs else where in the software (those really hard to find crashes/hangs/etc) so I kinda forgot it was incomplete.

Now that you mention it I'll try and complete it for the next version.

> But is it possible to have a template email that you can send to a contact
> group? (whether the email is in the template folder, or is a text file
> for using mail merge with)

You will be able to.
Scott
27/07/2003 10:12pm
> I've added some relitive path code for the next release.
> At least for files in the same directory as the executable.

That sounds great!

> The "Mail merge from template" is only half implemented
> and isn't currently connected to the UI. I've been
> spending my time recently trying to fix some bugs else
> where in the software (those really hard to find
> crashes/hangs/etc) so I kinda forgot it was incomplete.

> Now that you mention it I'll try and complete it for
> the next version.

I can only imagine what it must be like to track down bugs in a program like this (or any other program for that matter). I played around with C around 8 years ago. Closest thing to any programing now is learning PHP. And at times I'll be stuck for hours trying to figure something out. All I can say is "hats off to you" for anyone that does programming, especially tracking down and squashing bugs, or writting your code to avoid them in the first place. I'll stick to learning PHP, and leave others do the "real" programming. :-)

> You will be able to.

I can live with waiting for a future release that will have the capability of mailing a template to a contact group.

Thanks fRet

Scott