Thread

Index > Scribe > Linux problems on Mandrake 9.1
Author/Date Linux problems on Mandrake 9.1
Mike
03/05/2003 1:55pm
I've found two more problems so far.

1) I have my mail folder stored on a Win32 drive which is mounted read-write. When I tried to open it with Scribe, the cursor changed to the clock (i.e. wait) and I couldn't regain control of KDE or Scribe. I had to restart X to get anywhere. The drive is mounted as vfat.

2) When I opened the window to browse file systems looking for my mail folders, the default directory seemed to be /. There were many folders shown in the dialog, but only one had a name, and that was mnt. I could still navigate into /mnt though.

Thanks
Mike
03/05/2003 11:55pm
Cool it works! I have to select the existing mail file twice for it to work. The options menu still takes about 5s to open though.

Something else I've noticed is that when I change the font to Tahoma 10pt, the lower part of characters like p, y, g and q (etc) aren't rendered.

Also opening any new window (reply, forward, new mail etc) is a bit slow. It takes 2 or 3 seconds, whereas on Windows it's instantaneous.

One more question. Is there a way to change the font used in the folder and email lists?

Thanks again
Mike
Mike
03/05/2003 11:57pm
This problem with not rendering the lower parts of characters seems to occur in the options menu as well.

Mike
05/05/2003 1:12pm
I left my PC switched on and running Linux for a couple of hours and came back to it later. I tried to check my email, but I couldn't use the keyboard. WHen I moved the mouse over the menu bar, menu titles were highlighted but I coulnd't open any menus. After about 30s Linux wouldn't respond to either keyboard or mouse input, except for using CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X.

Is anyone else seeing this? Alternatively, has anyone run Scribe under Wine? Currently I'm finding SCribe to be unusable and unreliable under Linux.

If you need any more info of my linux setup, just let me know.

Thanks again.
fReT
05/05/2003 7:17pm
I'm looking at these issues and also fixing some other things in the linux build. It's still quite alpha, so these sort of things are to be expected. Each new build will improve a fair bit. :)

Mike
05/05/2003 11:08pm
Good point. If you need some testing I'll see what I can do.
Mike
06/05/2003 10:13am
I moved the Linux binary into the Scribe directory on my FAT32 partition so we'll see if that makes a difference.

One suggestion; when I open a Scribe menu in Linux, the only way to close it is to click anywhere else except the menu bar, for example in the message list. For example if I opened the "Mail" menu, I should be able to click the "Mail" menu again to close it.

Some problems. If I select an email I can't delete with any of the options; the Edit->Delete menu option, the delete key or the delete icon. Bit of a problem this one! :)

Thanks
Mike
06/05/2003 10:14am
I also can't drag emails to the Trash as it says "the item is a different type to the folder". :(
Mike
07/05/2003 11:55am
Is Linux support on the backburner for a while? If it is, I need to find an alternative cross platform solution (IMAP?) as I'm spending more and more time in Linux at the moment but the current version is unusable.

Thanks
fReT
08/05/2003 12:09am
No I'm working on the Linux codebase more than the Win32. Once I sort out a few issues I'll post a new release. The Win32 build is in stability testing, so I'm mostly just using it and responding to bug reports.

Hopefully in the next week or so I'll get the Linux build up to a point where it's worth releasing.
Mike
08/05/2003 12:52pm
Ok; I'll look out for that.

Thanks again.
fReT
13/05/2003 3:36am
I've posted a new Linux release. It's what I'm trying to use day to day, and it's got a whole bunch of fixes. Although I doubt I've addressed all the issues you've raised. Esp. the fonts are still pretty broken. I havn't had time to fix that in amongst all the other bits that needed more attention (crashes, brokeness, usability issues etc).
Mike
13/05/2003 11:18am
Cool - I just noticed the new Linux release. I'll give it a try and post some results.

Thanks!