Thread

Index > Scribe > Import from Outlook problem
Author/Date Import from Outlook problem
Arick
23/09/2007 12:57am
I am considering to move away from M$ Outlook etc. and test this GEM! here (iScribe for now). It looks like every one else has done that long before me, there are no posts on this in the forum since...many years, ;-). But, it also may be a problem of Outlook or whatever on my side - then please pardon me!

On XP pro I dragged mails from OL 2002 SP2 into an iScribe "archive" folder.

The mails show up in the list, but it shows attachment sizes only (if applicable), the contents (text/html) are counted 0 bytes. In the iScribe message window the attachments and the headers are *correctly* shown, but no text.

I close iScribe and open it again.
The list now shows (presumably) correct sizes. Beyond that I can now access html messages only(!) in the message window. No text/plain is shown (uh?! ;-)

Compacting didn't help.

When I drag any kind of these messages from iScribe to the desktop and then open it in an editor it shows the complete header and text.

I did notice some header fields were changed *after* dragging mails to the desktop. All headers now classify multipart/mixed, regardless of original MIME. And the Content-Type fields are now placed behind all optional (i.e. X-...) fields, in contrast to before.

I'll be glad to post headers that helps.

Thank You in advance.
Arick
Arick
23/09/2007 1:21am
Ummm, why not post part of a header:

Last part of header in OL and iScribe message window:
Subject: Bla
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:18:38 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
    format=flowed;
    charset="iso-8859-1";
    reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-TOI-X-TOI-SPAMCLASS: CLEAN, NORMAL
X-TOI-MSGID: dc6b0bc5-ab47-4f61-8d00-8162a3810d80
X-ENVELOPE-TO: <arick@t-online.de>

Header in .eml on desktop (INCLUDES TEXT):
Subject: Pralet 21
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:18:38 +0200
X-Priority: 3
X-TOI-X-TOI-SPAMCLASS: CLEAN, NORMAL
X-TOI-MSGID: dc6b0bc5-ab47-4f61-8d00-8162a3810d80
X-ENVELOPE-TO: <arick@t-online.de>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    Boundary="----=_NextPart_015FA339.00000CF8"

------=_NextPart_015FA339.00000CF8
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bonjour,

Voulez vous coucher avec mois ??

D'avance merci de votre r=E9ponse

Vivienne

------=_NextPart_015FA339.00000CF8
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------=_NextPart_015FA339.00000CF8--

Arick
23/09/2007 3:04pm
I just noticed that I can correct the header messup with plain text mails. I need to:

(1) Replace the iScribe header in the exported .eml file on my desktop with the original header that is shown in both Outlook and iScribe's message window, up to the actual text contents.

(2) delete all the "------=_NextPart" lines after the mail contents.

(3) Re-import the .eml file into iScribe.

Now the text/plain is shown in the message window, everything is fine.

I guess I'd need to separate all text files from the html ones within Scribe, export the text mails to the filesystem, delete them in Scribe, batch the repair process to every .eml file somehow, and reimport them to Scribe. I guess an InScribe filter could easily separate the files.

For an MUA like Scribe that pleasures me with such control over what is happening (It's like a big relief!!!) - I would love to do this. If only it had full IMAP4 support... I am dependant on that, must monitor Email headers in accounts in my name, but used solely by short-term tennants. I need to extract important messages addressed to me from the ISP. Unfortunately the filter options on the server are not complex enough to relay those mails to my account reliably, and I cannot risk missing them :-(.

I know IMAP is planned but also that David has a private life. Could someone give me a hint on when to look into Scribe again?
Arick
Arick
23/09/2007 3:12pm
Sorry, it's Matthew who has a private life, not (only) "David". That's from looking into Pegasus :-/. Sorry!
Arick