Thread

Index > Scribe > iScribe on Linux
Author/Date iScribe on Linux
ericc
30/08/2007 1:42pm
Hi

I use iScribe on Windows since a long time. I am really please to use it as it's light and very fast, and I never face any real problem with.

So weeks ago, I decide to switch to Linux and so I install Gentoo on my machine (I already have some experience with Linux).
Now my system is stable and I would like to use iScribe as mail client.

First bad surprise : iScribe isn't in Portage !! ??? I am little bit surprise as I had read somewhere that you also use Linux Gentoo ...

So I download the archive and the question start to pop-up.

My config : Linux Gentoo with XFCE 4.0
I try scribe V188 (stable) and V189 test5

Question :
Is there somewhere an install guide on Linux ?
Can I install iscribe in /usr/share/ and allow several users to use it ?
Or I must keep it in the user folder ?
I see that the config file is stored in the software folder, is it a way do store it somewhere else ?

As for the moment, I am still in dual boot, I have created a FAT partition an put my "folders.mail2" on it.
Apparently I can use it from both version, without trouble.

In V188, I have "liblgi-x.so" and in V189 "liblgi.so" , Which one is correct ? Can I use both ? Why a different version ?

In both version I have the same problem when I try to connect to send or receive I see " gethostbyname_r('pop.isp.com') failed" and "SocketError(34): <unknown error>" in the connection log.
I found a message talking about the same problem (in 2004 !!) , Do you have a solution now ?

Sorry for all this question but I don't found much information about Linux on this website or on Gentoo Forum or with Google

ericc
fret
31/08/2007 9:04pm
First bad surprise : iScribe isn't in Portage !! ??? I am little bit surprise as I had read somewhere that you also use Linux Gentoo ...

I used to use Gentoo a long time ago but I found it more work than I was expecting. So I switched to Fedora Core for a while and more recently I've been using Ubuntu. If you can't beat em, join em.

Is there somewhere an install guide on Linux ?

Not really, currently it's a case of unpacking it into a folder in your home directory and using it from there.

Can I install iscribe in /usr/share/ and allow several users to use it ?
Or I must keep it in the user folder ?

I think you can. But you'd have to supply the appropriate command line to tell Scribe where to store it's options file (something like /usr/share/scribe/scribe -o/home/username/options.xml)

I see that the config file is stored in the software folder, is it a way do store it somewhere else ?

Use the cmd line option "-o"

As for the moment, I am still in dual boot, I have created a FAT partition an put my "folders.mail2" on it.
Apparently I can use it from both version, without trouble.

Thats the idea. Yes...

In V188, I have "liblgi-x.so" and in V189 "liblgi.so" , Which one is correct ? Can I use both ? Why a different version ?

The extra "x" stands for x windows. I was playing around with other windows systems, e.g. liblgi-y.so etc. The binary will look for the appropriate library it was built with, they are not interchangable. You should always use the lgi so from the archive the software is distributed with.

In both version I have the same problem when I try to connect to send or receive I see " gethostbyname_r('pop.isp.com') failed" and "SocketError(34): unknown error" in the connection log.
I found a message talking about the same problem (in 2004 !!) , Do you have a solution now ?

Unfortunately no. But I will revisit it and see what I can find on google.

I can also do a current build of Scribe if you like. There has been very little interest in Scribe on Linux so I haven't been doing regular builds but it does still work on the latest distros. I don't use linux regularly.
Ken
01/09/2007 2:05am
Wow,

I've been playing around with Ubuntu myself in the past few months and I have it pretty well set so I came looking to search the forum for the last mention of iScribe for Linux since there hasn't been a version in a while.

Oh please God in heaven let there be new build for Linux =)
fret
05/09/2007 6:08am
Currently I'm having trouble with liblgignome2 not loading into memory even though ldd returns that all the libraries it links to are present. If I can't find a solution I might just ship it as is without Gnome support. Other than that it's working ok.
ericc
05/09/2007 7:54pm
without Gnome support.
I am using XFCE ... I don't know if I will have no problem ... but when I do a "ldd" I don't see anything about liblgignome2.

I can also do a current build of Scribe if you like
Yes, I will be please to test it

There has been very little interest in Scribe on Linux
Well the fact that there is no real documentation on how to install it and how to use it, doesn't help.
If I don't know it from Windows, I had already give up.

ericc
05/09/2007 8:27pm
I replaced the name of the pop3 and smtp servers of my ISP by the corresponding IP address and now it's work !!
I can send and receive ...

An other little problem : I don't know if it's really important but ...
In the parameters of the account, when I try to set up the "Preferred charsets" , I have some strange behavior.
When I select "iso-8859-15" from the droplist, first it doesn't change in the textbox and when I validate and re-open, it have changed by something else ... randomly
example :
in "for receiving" -> assume ascii text is : I have "euc-cn" (don't ask me why !!) , in the droplist, I select iso-8859-15.
The selection stay the same !!
I validate and close the properties. Then I reopen and now it's "us-ascii" .......
Doing it again, selecting always iso , and now it's ....... big5 !!!!!!
Well, if I do it several time and if I am lucky, may be I will finally have my choice ... or I must select something else ... :-)

ericc
Ken
05/09/2007 10:00pm
I'm a linux noobie but am quickly learning the basics with respect to console commands. If you build a current version for linux and want it beta tested or something drop me a line.

I'm running Ubuntu.
dazbo
12/09/2007 8:27pm
Hi
I'd like a recent test version on linux as well, if its not too much trouble:)

I ran 1.89 test5 and tried to import my data store but it created a lot of empty folders and no mail so a new version may correct this..

cheers

digital-patrick
03/10/2007 10:41am

Yes, Fret, don't forget LINUX ;-)

I'm using InScribe (windows-version) on my memory-stick.
When I'm on LINUX - what I like more - I use it with "wine" - works OK, but some characters are displayed very strange (german version) and the icons are invisble.
sending and receiving works fine. I never had problems losing mails...

fret
03/10/2007 11:11am
I've been working on the gnome stuff, cause I just can't abide it not working.

But at the moment I'm pretty swamped with other work.
digital-patrick
03/10/2007 2:49pm
I just downloaded the latest linux-version (1.89 Test 5).
Then I compared the files with my windows-version (1.89 Test 20): there were no matching files...
So I copied the linux-version directly in my existing windows-scribe-folder on my usb-stick.

The linux-version started fine but the names of some folders were empty.
The mails in the correct folders seemed to be OK.
I tried to click on the icons of these unnamed folders and this window opens:
The type of the folder '(null)' doesn't match it's contents.
The current type is MAGIC_NONE(0)
The correct type appears to be MAGIC_MAIL(aaff0001)

Can I fix it?
[Remove Bad Nods?] [Fix the folder type?] [Cancel]

Hmm... that sounds not too good...
Are the mail-folder-types of linux and windows compatible? In these versions?

What can I do?
fret
04/10/2007 6:43am
The folders aren't backward compatible that far back. You'll need a current build of Scribe/Linux which we'll be seeing pretty soon. Next few days, sans Gnome support. Gnome is annoyingly broken.
digital-patrick
04/10/2007 7:17am
Thank you :-)