Thread

Index > Scribe > Disappearing messages
Author/Date Disappearing messages
Jon Amsler
22/07/2002 7:13pm
I am using the free version Scribe 1.67 on Windows98se. I find that sometimes the folder.mail file gets corrupted and I lose messages. I also find that if I delete a message from the "sent" folder it does not appear in the trash folder. I also feel that doing sometimes will cause the folder.mail to get corrupted too. Anyone see this problem or have a solution? I am regularly backing up my mail folder now. With past versions of Scribe I never ran into this.

Jon
Jon Amsler
22/07/2002 7:18pm
Sorry. I saw that the non trashing of deleted items from the sent folder is a feature. But I am still losing items in general because the message file becomes corrupted about once every week or two. It seems to happen following finding a blank message showing up in a folder. The message can show up anywhere and then some time later it seems the whole message file gets corrupted and I lose messages. Any ideas?

JOn
fReT
22/07/2002 7:52pm
Does scribe crash a lot? Cause unless it's crashing it shouldn't corrupt email. And by crashing I mean your whole computer, esp in Win9x/ME if the system goes down it can corrupt scribes memory and then ask it to shutdown, cause folder corruption. Which isn't really my fault, but if just Scribe crashes then well I need to fix it.

Are you using Win9x/ME? Because since I switched to Win2k I've almost lost no email.
Jon Amsler
23/07/2002 2:57pm
Windows does not crash nor does the program itself crash. The message file simply loses integrity at some point and messages are lost. It is hard to predict when it will occur. I would say about once every 3 weeks with regular daily usage the message file goes bad. I also notice as I said that a new mail message will pop up in a folder at random and it seems like when this occurs and I delete the message the corruption of the whole message file is not far away. There does not seem to be anything else that happens otherwise that appears related. Scribe opens and closes without any apparent problems. Usually I get a message upon opening Scribe saying that there is a problem with the message file when some corruption occurs and after I hit ok I find messages lost usually in the Inbox. Another strange thing I have had happen occasionally is that I will get multiple "calendar" folders. I have never used the calendar function yet myself so it is strange.

I use windows98se and I have never had these kinds of problems with earlier versions say before 1.5 or so. I recently upgraded the version I had and then these little problems began to occur.

Jon
Jon Amsler
23/07/2002 3:00pm
I forgot to say I have noticed when losing emails the message file does not seem to lose any size which suggested to me the messages were still there. I tried once to see if I could find them and I did manage to find one or two so the corruption is not extreme. I saw once you had a tool available to go through the message folder and edit it. Is this tool still available?

Jon
fReT
23/07/2002 7:13pm
I still have such a tool, and while it does allow access to the folder file's internal it's not for the average user unfortunately. It's really for programmers and other technical people.

When a message is corrupted it appears as a new message because the contents of the message aren't loaded so scribe assumes that a message without content must be a newly created email.
Jon Amsler
24/07/2002 7:50pm
That would explain the apparent connection between the appearence of empty new messages and subsequent corruption.

Jon