Thread

Index > Scribe > InScribe does not end the task if I close the program
Author/Date InScribe does not end the task if I close the program
BoisBleu
09/02/2005 3:14pm
Hallo,

If I close (end) InScribe (Test4) - scribe.exe still exists in the task manager (win2k sp4). I always have to end the task.

Just for information...

BB

martin
07/03/2005 3:09pm
yes and the same with test 6, in fact there seem to be two Scribe modules running after closing the program
fret
07/03/2005 11:28pm
There are a few cases where Scribe will continue to run after the user exits the program.

a) There are active connections, in which case a little dialog appears saying "waiting for connection 'x' to finish" or something and when the connection is done THEN it will exit. You can cancel the quit at that point and return to Scribe.

b) There is a lot of memory allocated and Scribe is mostly swapped out to disk. In this case the c library has to swap the memory Scribe is using back in to physical RAM to deallocate it cleanly. This tends to happen when Scribe has a large folders file loaded and has been running for a longish time (many hours or days). I've been thinking a lot about this situation and wondering what I can do to improve it. It's not fully under my control, and I'm not very happy about the situation. Sometimes in this case Scribe can take over a minute to quit, it's using 3-7% CPU during this time and the memory usage is generally going up slowly. Memory usage being the amount of physical RAM in use, the virtual size is going down.

In either of these 2 cases, Scribe will eventually quit without user intervention. The question in my mind is this what your seeing or something else entirely?

For starters if it happens again then pull up the task manager and have a look at whats happening. How much CPU is Scribe using? Whats the memory usage doing?

If 2 Scribe processes are loaded at the some time then thats usually a mistake, generally if a second copy is started it will communicate with the first one via interprocess communication (IPC) and pass it's data across to the running copy and then exit. This is how mailto: arguments are handled. The only proper way to get 2 copies running at the same time is to have different installs with different scribe.r paths. In this case they won't interfer with each other. If you can reproduce the steps to get 2 copies running with 1 scribe.r file then I'd like to hear more about what you did.
martin
18/03/2005 1:31pm
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this, I hadn't noticed that there was another posting.
Well as always in this kind of thing, I'm finding it difficult, or rather impossible, to reproduce the conditions where two Scribe modules run after the main program is closed - I'll keep trying...!
BoisBleu
13/04/2005 5:49pm
Hello fret,

I'm running InScribe at an encrypted partition. If I have to restart the machine (or shutdown) I have to dismount this partition first. In some cases I get a message from the encryption software (http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/) that there are still files open. It asks me if I want to dismount it brutal...

Your suggestion that this appears if InScribe runs for hours can in fact be the reason for this. Most of the time InScribe is running the whole day. I do not have any memory problems. InScribe takes between 10-15 MB of RAM. I have about 1000 messages in InScribe. All of them are without attachments. My mail2 File has a size of 6 MB ;)

So I will have a look at this. It's not a big problem. If I have to do I can restart InScribe sometimes... ;)

BoisBleu (www.webcheck.de)
BoisBleu
31/12/2005 2:08pm
In the current final version (1.88) I still have these problems. Yesterday I found 3 tasks of InScribe running.

There is one important thing you should know: version 1.87 doesn't have this problem!

Cheers

BoisBleu
BoisBleu
31/12/2005 2:11pm
Here are some parts of my scribe.txt file:

D:\matthew\Scribe-Branches\v1.88-final\Scribe\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7319 - No option 'Folder-7'
D:\matthew\Scribe-Branches\v1.88-final\Scribe\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7319 - No option 'Folder-7'

GSemaphore=00877878(MouseHookLock): Can't lock... LockingThread=636 ThisThread=336 Count=1.

GSemaphore=00877878(MouseHookLock): Can't lock... LockingThread=636 ThisThread=336 Count=1.

fret
01/01/2006 10:44am
This is a known problem but I'd run out of information to fix it. So I've reopenned the bug now that I have your report.
fret
16/10/2006 7:41am
Just fixed Bug #8.