Thread

Index > Scribe > Import from Windows Live Mail on Windows 8
Author/Date Import from Windows Live Mail on Windows 8
Becky
18/10/2013 1:02am
Can I import my inboxes and storage folders from Windows Live Mail on Windows 8 to InScribe? If so, can you please outline the steps I need to follow?

Thanks,
Becky
Becky
18/10/2013 11:42pm
I figured out how to import a storage folder from Windows Live Mail by converting it to an MBX first and then importing Unix MBX. However, I have been unable to find an easy way to keep my folder hierarchy. In addition, when I click Import > Outlook Express > either option, InScribe stops responding. I have over 100 folders, many of which are nested. If InScribe cannot import these folders with my current structure, then this is not going to work for me.
Becky
18/10/2013 11:49pm
UPDATE - The import feature has stopped hanging. I exported my mail folders from Windows Live Mail and then converted to mbx. In InScribe I tried to import Outlook Express mbx. I selected the parent folder and the list populated with all subfolders. I attempted to import into InScribe, but "0 or 31 were imported successfully". No error message, so I am not sure what happened. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Becky
fret
19/10/2013 8:05am
It would be good to have one of those mail box files to test with. Is it possible to get a .zip file of a folder that won't import correctly? (Something not private/sensitive?)

In the meantime I'm booting up my win8 VM to have a look at Windows Live Mail. I'll export some folders myself and see if I can pull them into Scribe.
Becky
23/10/2013 2:05am
Were you able to get the import working on your Windows 8 VM? If so, can you please provide me with instructions for doing so? I can send you a few mbx files if you need them for testing. I just need to know how to send the files to you.

Thanks,
Becky
fret
23/10/2013 8:21am
I've just got the Essentials pack installed and it needed some .NET thing first. And some mail imported into it. So I'm still working on it, but I've got other things going on as well. Should have some results in the next few days.
fret
23/10/2013 10:30pm
How did you convert your mail to .mbx files?

I can see the email in:
C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

But it's only download IMAP messages to the local store when I click on them. Maybe you have POP accounts.

In any case it's all individual .eml files, not .mbx folders.
Becky
23/10/2013 11:53pm
I am trying to import non-IMAP folders from Windows Live Mail. The folders contain emails from POP and IMAP accounts but the folders are not mapped to IMAP folders.

In Windows Live Mail:
1. File > Export Email > Email Messages
2. Microsoft Windows Live Mail
3. Selected C:\ExportedEmail folder
4. Selected folders: selected multiple folders with Ctrl+click (one parent and 5 children)

After the eml files were exported, I downloaded the eml2mbx program from http://download.cnet.com/eml2mbx/3000-2648_4-10788884.html. I copied the eml2mbx.exe and eml2mbx.ini to C:\.

I created the folder C:\ExportedEmailMbx.

From a command prompt, I ran the following command:
eml2mbx C:\ExportedEmail\*.eml C:\ExportedEmailMbx\ /p /s
/p In case of an error, the program does not ask the user but automatically tries to proceed.
/s E-mail files are collected recursively from all subdirectories. By default, the mails from each subdirectory are packed into an individual mbox file.

This command creates .mbx files for each folder.

In InScribe:
1. Create Sub Folder named ExportedMail
1. Tools > Import > Outlook Express > MBX folders (v4)
2. Click Yes when see message "0 outlook express data files found in C:\Users\Becky\AppData\Local Do you want to select a different directory to search?"
3. Selected C:\ExportedEmailMbx
4. Selected all 6 mbx files (1 parent and 5 children) as Source Files and ExportedMail as Destination Folder

Message says "0 of 6 MBX files imported successfully."

Thanks,
Becky

Becky
28/10/2013 11:44pm
Can you tell me how you were able to get the import to work so I can try that?

Thanks,
Becky
fret
31/10/2013 7:20am
At the moment there isn't an automated way of importing a whole directory structure of folders containing individual .eml files (which is the export format for Windows Live Mail). So I'm working on adding that over the next few days to a week.

I really need to make a release soon anyway.
Becky
31/10/2013 10:00am
Thank you so much for looking into this and offering a solution! Please let me know when you have it working as I cannot wait to get away from Windows Live Mail and hopefully stop my computer from crashing :-)

Becky
fret
31/10/2013 4:14pm
Have you tried the Import -> Text -> Unix MBOX method?

.MBX files could be either unix MBOX or Outlook Express...
fret
31/10/2013 4:15pm
In any case I've finished the code to import folders of .eml files directly, including their folder structure. So the next build can import directly from the Windows Live mail store.