Thread

Index > Scribe > Gmail and SMTP problems
Author/Date Gmail and SMTP problems
Chris
11/06/2006 10:06am
I continue to have a problem sending through Gmail.

I had already posted once on this subject, and had actually given up thinking that my problems were due to port blockade of my ISP. However, I was intrigued to learn that a friend of mine could send through Gmail from exactly the same environment, using MSOutlook. So I went through another series of tests.

First of all, I found that Gmail actually requires port 465 for smtp and not 587 as mentioned here in the Gmail Tutorial (http://www.memecode.com/scribe/gmail.php). I found that info on the help pages of google for the configuration of Outlook (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13277&topic=1555).

To make sure that I'm up to date, I also re-installed the latest Scribe_SSL.dll plugin for v1.89-test3 and downloaded again the two DLL's libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll, although there had been no changes.

Since it still didn't work and to make sure that it wasn't the fault of my constantly upgraded InScribe installation, I proceeded to a fresh install, which I also ran on a brandnew computer to ensure it had nothing to do with a possible competition of SSL files installed on my desktop.

Thus I think to have avoided all possible interferences, but it still doesn't work. The connection simply times out and nothing happens. Receiving works just fine.

Are there users here who actually succeed to send through Gmail with Scribe?

Any other settings where I could have gone wrong?

Please help!
Chris
Chris
15/06/2006 6:12pm
*push push*

Am I the only one having this problem?

Any users actually successful with sending through Gmail who would share their configuration secrets?

P L E A S E . . .
Nick Schirmer
17/06/2006 12:11pm
Hmm... I tried sending via port 465 and I wasn't successful either. So I re-read how to setup gmail on their website ( http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287&topic=1555 ) and they say to use either 465 or 587. So I tried 587 and it worked. Got an error message in the log but it did send successfully.

Suggestions if port 587 isn't working? I'd double check you've check SSL for both incoming and outgoing connections on the connections tab. If still its not working, what does the log show when its trying to connect? Anything? Using ...\ssleay32.dll and ...\libeay32.dll? Connected?

Nick
Chris
17/06/2006 1:03pm
Hey Nick,

thx for ur answer!

I tried both ports, no joy. Of course I have configured the account as you said, and I have also tested all variations of the authetication type.

Here is what the log tells me with port 587:
<quote>Using 'C:\Program Files\_MyProgs\Tools USB\progs\_browse\Scribe\ssleay32.dll'
Using 'C:\Program Files\_MyProgs\Tools USB\progs\_browse\Scribe\libeay32.dll'
Error: Scribe_SSL.cpp:349 - BIO_do_connect failed
Connection closed.</quote>
... and nothing is sent.

It's a shame that sending through Gmail works with Outlook but not with Scribe.

What to do?

Chris
fret
17/06/2006 2:06pm
Btw I'm not ignoring this issue, I've just been busy with other bugs/features.

Sometime next week I WILL get around to helping out :)
dz
10/06/2007 3:04am
I got this to work...had to use port 587 AND check the ESMTP box (and put username/password) in the send settings