Thread

Index > Scribe > SMTP error (for new SMTP server)
Author/Date SMTP error (for new SMTP server)
Scott
26/04/2015 4:07am
I'm trying to configure a new SMTP server, but I get an error when I try to send email through this server. This is the info in the Entry field:
Using 'C:\appsx86\Memecode\Scribe\ssleay32.dll'
Using 'C:\appsx86\Memecode\Scribe\libeay32.dll'
Connecting to smtphm.sympatico.ca:587...
Error 0: Connection timeout.
Error: OpenSSLSocket.cpp:755 - BIO_do_connect failed.
SSL connection closed.
Failed to connect socket to smtphm.sympatico.ca:587

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Scott
08/05/2015 10:57am
Is there any way to increase the connection timeout period?

I've succeeded in configuring Windows Live Mail 2011 to send via SMTP. Would it help if I sent you the connection.log file for an email sent through Live Mail?

Being unable to send emails is rather unpleasant.
Scott
08/05/2015 10:57am

I've succeeded in configuring Windows Live Mail 2011 to send via SMTP. Would it help if I sent you the connection.log file for an email sent through Live Mail?

Being unable to send emails is rather unpleasant.
Scott
08/05/2015 9:13pm
Thunderbird has a neat feature that auto-configures email accounts. Using this, I discovered that STARTLS will actually work with my account, despite the documentation suggesting to use SSL.

This problem is no longer an issue, although, I do recommend installing Thunderbird to detect configuration issues for new accounts.
fret
08/05/2015 10:59pm
Currently there is an API for setting the timeout, which works. But it's not user accessible. I'm happy to add some user interface in a future release.

Thunderbird has a neat feature that auto-configures email accounts. Using this, I discovered that STARTLS will actually work with my account, despite the documentation suggesting to use SSL.
This is something that I will add at some point. It's just a matter of finding the time.