Thread

Index > Scribe > Test 26 observation under Linux
Author/Date Test 26 observation under Linux
Mike
22/05/2003 10:14am
I found a re-occurrence of a problem I experienced with an older version of Scribe under Linux. I had been running Scribe successfully for a couple of hours while eating dinner and doing other stuff around the house. When I came back to my PC later, I couldn't use any of the menus in Scribe. I couldn't open the file menu to exit so I had to use the window manager's control menu to close it down. There were no error messages (I was running Scribe from a terminal).

Thanks again
Mike
22/05/2003 11:08am
Two more observations:

1) When I select emails in the trash, if I press delete nothing happens. I'm sure that this worked under Windows. Right clicking and choosing Delete usually works.

2) On some occasions, selecting emails in the Trash and right clicking to select Delete does nothing. I have to go in using the main edit menu to delete them.

Thanks
Mike
22/05/2003 11:08am
Sorry, for 2) I meant to say that sometimes right clicking doesn't bring up the context menu for selected emails in the Trash.
Mike
22/05/2003 11:12am
Hmmm, now I can't get the right button context menu to appear anywhere. For example, if I click on a contact I can't right click and get the menu to let me choose to send an email to them.
Mike
22/05/2003 11:14am
So I wrote a new mail, chose the address from my addressbook and Scribe segfaulted. I did notice that I couldn't enter a subject; it wouldn't let me type anything.

Thanks
Mike
22/05/2003 11:26am
Update on the segfault. I restarted Scribe and sent an email which worked. Then about 15 minutes later, having received two emails I wanted to sned another one. I clicked the New Email button and the window popped up. I opened my addressbook and noticed that all email addresses were repeated three times (three instances of each address). I double clicked on the first instance of the email address I wanted to send to. I couldn't enter a subject and clicking the subject line with the mouse several times was followed by the segfault.

Thanks
Mike
22/05/2003 11:27am
Now everytime I restart Scribe, I click New Email button, click the button to open the addressbook and the addresses are all repeated three times. Whichever address I choose causes Scribe to segfault.
Mike
22/05/2003 1:44pm
Another little observation. I tried to select several emails in my inbox by selecting the first one, holding shift and then selecting the last one. They appeared to be selected ok, but the delete button wouldn't delete them. I had to select them all while holding the control button down before they would all be deleted at the same time.

Cheers
Mike
22/05/2003 5:37pm
I have the problem again where I can't use any of the menus. I did see this output though:

./Scribe
Screen: 1024 x 768 @ 16 bpp
i.Scribe v1.86 (Test25, Linux v2.4, Release)
GSubMenu::Float Ignored stray mouse click.
QApplication::OnEvent: Unsupported target format 'COMPOUND_TEXT'.
QApplication::OnEvent: Unsupported target format 'COMPOUND_TEXT'.
fReT
22/05/2003 8:14pm
The delete key not working is part of the menu shortcuts feature that hasn't been implemented (I though I mentioned this in the readme?).

I'll look into the triplicate addresses in the add contact window and the crashes. I'm sure it's nothing too complex.
fReT
22/05/2003 9:23pm
The "Add Contact" window duplicates and crash have been fixed for Test27. I'll release towards the end of the day so that I pick up anything I run into between now and then.

My priorities lean towards fixing things that are real usability blocks, things that have [easyish?] work arounds can wait a bit.

Btw thanks for the feedback, it's really useful.
Mike
22/05/2003 9:29pm
There's a readme? ;)