Blog
Page: 0 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 15 ... 20 ... 25 ... 30 ... 35 ... 40 ... 45 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 65 ... 70 ... 75 ... 80 ... 85 ... 90 ... 95
Mac OS X Software Update fails to update installed application.
Date: 20/2/2012
Tags: macosx
I've just managed to "fix" an issue that I was seeing on 10.6 where Software Update would not update Logic Express. According to Software Update, Logic wasn't even installed, however the app was there in /Applications and would run fine.

It seems that getting Software Update to re-scan that app is as simple as renaming the app. I changed the name of Logic Express from "Logic Express 9.0.1" to just "Logic Express", ran Software Update again and the latest release for Logic magically appeared. Hmmm.

So the next time Software Update is ignoring your installed apps you know what to do!
(0) Comments | Add Comment

iconv v1.9.1 win32/win64
Date: 12/11/2011
Tags: iconv
I've posted a source and binaries zip of iconv for win32 and win64 on the Libraries page.
(0) Comments | Add Comment

Axefx Foot Controller
Date: 21/6/2011
Tags: axefx
After some months of work I've finally got my Axefx foot controller kit up for sale. I've updated the index page to have both software and hardware sections... because apparently I do hardware too now :)
(0) Comments | Add Comment

Wrapping Up Controller Testing
Date: 20/6/2011
Tags: axefx
So in the last few days I've finished the controller test board, ironed out a few bugs in the firmware code, hooked up the midi ports and tested that they are sending and receiving the right data. The board looks like it's doing all the things it's meant too. Which means I can now start moving ahead on making the kit available. What's left to do is write up the documentation of how to build a kit from the parts and PCB and work out the business details, like shipping weights/costs and a purchase page.

Today I also printed out the new graphics that are laid out for the Hammond box and checked them for accuracy.

It's sitting next to the prototype box, which is a different aspect ratio. The plan is to get someone to print it out onto adhesive backed vinyl and then stick it straight onto the aluminium, cut the holes out with a hobby knife and then poke all the pots, switches and LED's through. There are some more knobs coming from the UK for both my own controller and the kits.
(0) Comments | Add Comment

Controller Update
Date: 16/6/2011
Tags: axefx
Last night I got some time to work on the MIDI controller testing. The problem I was left with is that the parameter knobs were not working, so I started with printing out the current value for param0 on the LCD and it was always 1023 (the maximum value) no matter what voltage was supplied on the input pin. So I teared down all the setup code and checked that I was doing everything right in the software... which after an hour or so of re-reading all the docs... yes; I'm doing everything right. Ok that leaves hardware. So I measured the voltage on the input pin again... yup that's right too. *sigh* Then I notice there is a "VREF" pot on the AVR stamp... wonder what that does? Tweak tweak... oooh look the value on the LCD is finally changing! Seems that VREF pot on the stamp is controlling something to do with the way the AVR reads values on it's analog in pins, so I'll have to write that into the documentation to set correctly when assembling the kit. So hurrah the parameters are all working pretty much correctly and I can test the new menu code on the hardware. I'm getting close to being done with the testing. All that remains is hooking up the MIDI sockets and checking the right messages get sent and received.
(0) Comments | Add Comment

Midi Foot-controller Update
Date: 14/6/2011
Tags: axefx
Last night I investigated whether I could compile and flash the ROM from Windows7 64bit. The compiling side was fine, I could build the binary but the program I was using to flash that binary onto the AVR chip via the parallel port doesn't work on Windows7-64bit. Which isn't to say you can't do AVR development on Win7 but it just means that different software is needed. On XP I've been using PonyProg2000 with a lot of success.

On the hardware front, I wired up all the pots to the test harness and checked they were applying the right voltage to the analog pins. I've soldered those onto the PCB traces and not the pads because it's a pain removing wires from pads and then trying to get the solder out and put something else in.

Software wise I have re-written the menu and not everything is hooked up at the moment. So I spent some time uncommented some sections of the controller code and got them compiling with the new menu layout. The structure of things in memory (both RAM and EEPROM) has changed to make things more flexible and those changes need to be propagated out to all the rest of the code. (Parts that didn't compile originally have been commented out). Also I put together a Visual Studio 2005 project for the desktop version of the controller.

And I'm loving zip ties at the moment... they make things so much more organized.
(0) Comments | Add Comment