Page: 0 ... 5 ... 10 ... 15 ... 20 ... 25 ... 30 33 34 35 36 38 39 40 41 ... 45 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 65 ... 70
|Translating Script Names|
Date: 7/6/2007||So Scribe has script files stored in the "Scripts" sub-folder and at the moment they show up in the tools menu. There are several problems to be addressed. First of all the name of the command is currently just the file name. But then means it can't be translated into all the different languages that Scribe supports. Currently translations for the existing commands are in the Scribe.lr8 file which gets loaded at runtime. However there needs to be a mechanism that associates a given string resource with the Script file.
I'm considering several possibilies. None of which are particularly palettable.
I'd like some feedback or ideas. The translation has a reference number (int), an ID (int) and a define (string name). The ref is unique, the ID is the same for all strings with the same define.
|(1) Comment | Add Comment|
Date: 5/6/2007||Plastic Ocean (via jwz).
It began with a line of plastic bags ghosting the surface, followed by an ugly tangle of junk: nets and ropes and bottles, motor-oil jugs and cracked bath toys, a mangled tarp. Tires. A traffic cone. [...] Dragging a fine-meshed net he discovered minuscule pieces of plastic, some barely visible to the eye, swirling like fish food throughout the water. He and his researchers parsed, measured, and sorted their samples and arrived at the following conclusion: By weight, this swath of sea contains six times as much plastic as it does plankton.
We are seriously screwing our planet up. I'm not doing nearly enough to help and it just makes me very deeply sad.
I thought I did the right thing by just getting rid of my offensively wasteful car and replacing it with a scooter but that just means someone else is polluting the environment with that car. But I couldn't afford to have it crushed, I needed the money to buy the scooter (and other things).
Constantly it seems that doing the right thing is more expensive in the short term financial sense. I'm sure there are ways where the free market can be bought to bear on the problem.
In some what related news I need to buy a new car for our family as our old one was written off last week. No one was seriously hurt but both the girls had some whiplash. Currently I'm thinking of getting a Corolla wagon as some compromise between our needs, resources and the environment. It's a whole lot more economical than our last car (8lt/100km city) has more space than a small sedan and has some air-bags. Not enough mind you, but as a stepping stone, it's what we can afford at the moment. I'd dearly love to get a Civic Hybrid but they start at 35k new or 25k 2nd hand. And we don't have that unless we want to go into [more] debt *shudder*.
|(2) Comments | Add Comment|
|VC++ 6 hangs|
Date: 22/5/2007||Oh yes. I've always wondered about these hangs you get in Visual C++ when debugging an application that crashes and then the debugger hangs and soon all your GUI hangs, or at least is going very very slowly. It takes about 5 minutes to open the task manager and kill MSDEV.EXE at which point your system returns to normal. Abeit without what you were working on.
So someone worked it out and posted a (possible?) fix for it: Turn off advanced text systems in the regional settings. Tuff luck if you need that I guess.
One less problem, 9 zillion to go.
|(2) Comments | Add Comment|
|SVG Debug Output For Rendering|
Date: 2/5/2007||I've got a bug in my GPath code where in more complicated vector art it misses a segment out and draws incorrectly. So because I can't come up with a simple case to help debug it I've added a lot of logging to the code that is #define'd in and out. I wanted a way to visualize the segments being passed into the rendering stage and so I made the logging output paths in SVG format which I can paste into a file for viewing:
What you see in that image is a lot of segments each making up a vertical part of the vector art. No segment can be horizontal or double back on itself, i.e. it's either purely upwards or purely downwards. The error is in the capital "C" where there is no vertical cap on the bottom ending of the stroke joining segment 32 to segment 37. Thus putting out the in/out segment count for those scan lines and creating a visual artifact to the right of that missing segment.
I created the random colours with:
printf("color=\"%06.6X\"", rand() % 0xffffff);
I just thought this method of creating visual debugging info was cute and might be useful to others working with graphical things.
Update: Bug is fixed. But man that code is a mess. I really never want to have to touch it again.
|(0) Comments | Add Comment|
|O Thunderbird you art hilarious...|
Date: 2/5/2007||WWDC Scam: |
|(0) Comments | Add Comment|
Date: 20/4/2007||A new build of Scribe for the Mac has been released and it's had a lot of work poured into it. I expect that most things work now so I'm calling it beta instead of alpha. The change list for Test16 is epic.
I'm now using it as my main mail client to get some miles on the code base. So far so good. I've left it running for days on end with no crashes or out of character memory usage.
A Win32 release will follow shortly. However the Linux port is really broken, I'm having all sorts of trouble fixing some X protocol errors. Although I'm learning a lot more about X than I really wanted to know. I've rewritten the window manager support for the Linux port and it'd be really nice to get that out in the field.
There is a intermittent crash in the account connection shutdown code. This is the main thing blocking the windows build from being labeled "stable".
|(3) Comments | Add Comment|