Blog
Mac + PC + Big Files
Date: 16/2/2005
I've got some friends that want to move large files (video) between Mac's and PC's in different locations. We're talking 10+GB files. So anything that uses FAT32 is out. And anything that the computer mounts directly, say over USB2 or Firewire means the filesystem has to be compatible between both Windows XP and Mac OSX, for writing as well. Which currently isn't the case, NTFS can't be written by a Mac.

So I'm thinking if I could find something that attached to a 10/100 LAN, accepted Samba/SMB connections and used NTFS internally on a 3.5" drive, it should work seemlessly between the Mac and PC for large files right?

Right?

Anyone know of such a beast? (Lots of devices are close - i.e. do all that but are FAT32).
Comments:
Ed
16/02/2005 4:29pm
Mac OSX uses samba (v3.x) which I think has some filesize limitations, to talk SMB. I can't get a definitive answer on the file size limits, but this might help... (even though it's 6 months old)

Another way is to use an archiver and use disk spanning. If you're trying to transfer a 10gb file and are limited to 2gb, make a zip file that is broken up into 5 pieces. (Remember making a single zip or arj file that was split over several floppies way back when?). That way you can use your USB2/firewire drive and reassemble on the other end.

Failing that, perhaps try the unix commands split and cat (perhaps using cygwin on the xp machine)

...or just use smaller files ;-)
Bardo
18/02/2005 10:23pm
Maybe it's the wrong place to post this remark, but then anyhoo: how difficult would it be to port Sribe to the Mac? (Or is it easier to turn the Titanic into a lunchbox? ;-)
fret
20/02/2005 10:49pm
Bardo: Buy me a Mac mini and we'll see!

It would probably be pretty easy to port to the Mac. It's already very cross platform and getting Lgi ported over to the Mac would probably be a walk in the park compared the lame X11/Xlib.
Bardo
20/02/2005 11:12pm
Well Matthew,

I just bought myself a MiniMac (has yet to be delivered), spent my savings on it, but I promise you: I will start saving again and you're next in line! ;-)
Maybe BeOS will still run on a G4, so then I can still use Scribe.
By the way, does Apple deliver down under?
fret
20/02/2005 11:15pm
There are a few Apple stores here and then of course there is apple.com.au as well.
Joe E.
26/02/2005 10:21pm
Adaptec Snap Appliances (http://www.snapappliance.com) do this.

They Used to be Quantum Snap Servers.

The Snap Server 1100 sports 80GB, 160GB, or 250GB capacities, and cost $400 to $600, depending on who you go to, on Froogle.

I own two of their larger Snap Server 4500s, and one of the older 1000s. They are rock-solid, and support simultaneous read/write access from Windows, UNIX, Linux, MAC, whatever.

Unlike today's USB devices, the Snap Servers connect directly via 10/100 Ethernet, for true Network Attached Storage.

Overall, one of the best products I've ever purchased.
fret
27/02/2005 3:39am
Joe: Still it's pretty expensive here in australia.

I'm trying to find something on the smaller/cheaper side that the snap machines. It only needs to be accessed by one person at a time, and it should ideally by small and portable. I'd use a firewire enclosure for a standard HD if there was a compatible file system between Windows / Mac.

Thanks for the input though.
Joe E.
27/02/2005 11:41am
Wow..! I didn't even think to check pricing for your locale... Sorry about that...

Well, small NAS devices are always my favorites in these scenarios...

There are a couple of products that allow you to connect USB Disk Drives and Flash Drives to your LAN, though. Maybe one can work in your environment:

1. Linksys NSLU2 - Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives
Price at http://www.dpi.com.au : $145.46 ex GST - $160.01 inc GST

2. NetGear Model WGT634U - 108 Mbps Wireless Storage Router
Price at http://www.dpi.com.au : $162.47 ex GST - $178.72 inc GST

Couple of thoughts:

1. Size vs. features - the NetGear's feature set is impressive, but weighs twice as much as the Linksys.

2. The Linksys is the easiest to integrate, with most value for the money.

3. The NetGear is actually a wireless router, in addition to being the storage router. That's more than you need, but with a $20 price difference, it might still be a better purchase, should you decide to sell it off, later.

Hope this helps..!
fret
27/02/2005 10:59pm
Another option I'm looking at is just adding Ext3 support to each OS via drivers:

Mac:

Windows:

Then just use a USB2 drive directly... *hmmmm*
Joe E.
02/03/2005 8:25am
Hey, that makes a lot of sense..!

Thanks for sharing the sourceforge links... I'm gonna go play, now...

From:
Email (optional): (Will be HTML encoded to evade harvesting)
Message:

Remember username and/or email in a cookie.
Notify me of new posts in this thread via email.
BBcode: