Thread

Index > Scribe > Send connection with iScribe v2.28 in Win7 64 resolved
Author/Date Send connection with iScribe v2.28 in Win7 64 resolved
pseudocanuck
11/02/2011 1:50am
Hello,
Using IMAP4full. I had a problem with my send connection. Got the dialogue "Couldn't open connection to server". Sometimes there was no log being recorded. Other times the following:
Using 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Memecode\Scribe\ssleay32.dll'
Using 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Memecode\Scribe\libeay32.dll'
Error: ScribeSSL.cpp:407 - BIO_do_connect failed.SSL connection closed.
Failed to connect socket to myisp.com:25

I tried a number of things, such as:

Tried disabling AV, then firewall.
No change.
Tried reentering password in Accounts>Send.
No change.
Checked out AV & firewall for permissions. Everything seems OK.
Changed Send SSL to TLS.
No change, except that "couldn't open connection" showed faster.
Tried IMAPfetch, then POP3, reiterating the above.
No change.
Changed SSL on Send to None.

That works, either with IMAPfetch, IMAPfull or POP3, and with the following log:
220 myisp.com ESMTP lavad
EHLO myisp.com
250-myisp.com
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 1073741824
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-Okay.
250 STARTTLS
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
Uk1NMDEyNjExQGxhdmFiaXQuY29t
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
U2hhd2luaWdhbjkwNQ==
235 Authenticated.
MAIL FROM: <xxxxx@myisp.com>
250 Sender okay.
RCPT TO: <xxxxx>
250 Recipient okay.
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself.

Wonderful.
But now, I'm using avast! anti-vi. (Great AV program, BTW). Avast! says it requires that SSL be disabled because it can't scan encrypted content. It provides its own SSL after scanning. Avast! showed the usual dialogue after I initially set up connections within Scribe: "SSL must be disabled in your client". My experience w/ Outlook Express and Outlook shows that this disablement is done automatically by avast! while leaving settings within the client unchanged.
It seems that with Scribe, avast! needs the SSL Send setting at None, while for receive it needs SSL enabled in the client (log shows unsecured connection for Receive when Receive SSL set to None).

I include all the above in case it might be useful to anyone using avast!

Now I have a question myself:
If the log is showing TLS security being used upon Send, is that a guarantee that it's being used in reality?
I'm asking because of the strange fact that, when SSL for send was selected, disabling AV still did not permit the connection. Also, manually changing the Send connection used by avast! to port 465 & SSL instead of what it chose as default (port 25 & TLS), doesn't change the log, and the connection still works.

Regards.
HAS
14/02/2011 8:06am
I am having the same ssl send error. The last known working version for me is v2.26 which I am still using. The next versions I tried were v2.28 and v2.29
My last post to the forum is in message:
Installed i.Scribe for USB - now MAPI32 doesn't work

No firewall. No anti-virus. Regular up-to-date service pack XP Pro 32 bit. (Yes I'm living dangerously without all that protection which would consume more resources than the entire OS - my choice.) The ScribeOptions.xml should stay intact, same ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll.

I make a zip backup and install on top the existing. When it doesn't work, delete the install and restore the zip backup.
fret
14/02/2011 9:40am
I am having the same ssl send error. The last known working version for me is v2.26 which I am still using. The next versions I tried were v2.28 and v2.29
My last post to the forum is in message:
Installed i.Scribe for USB - now MAPI32 doesn't work

Please try the SSL test. Delete any scribe.txt first, run the build, if SSL connection fails... send me the scribe.txt.
Scott
12/05/2011 11:34am
I'm getting the same "Couldn't open a connection to the server" error.
I've noticed this problem in v28, v29 and v30 on Win7 64.

When I tried to click on the SSL test page I get the following error:
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error. 

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

What is the status of this problem and/or the SSL test page?
Scott
12/05/2011 11:39am
I've got the SSL test downloaded. The URL in the link had some bogus characters at the end of it.
fret
12/05/2011 11:40am
I fixed the link to the SSL test...
Scott
30/05/2011 7:39am
I'm not sure why but this problem has gone away for me -- I'm able to send mail again. I'm using 2.00 version 29. I upgraded to version 31 and it's still working (whew).