Thread

Index > Scribe > scribe for linux
Author/Date scribe for linux
rabbo51
02/03/2020 12:48pm
But has the development of scribe for linux been abandoned or is it still active?
fret
09/03/2020 1:14pm
Not abandoned, just busy with life. If people ask for it I'll make more regular builds.
fret
10/03/2020 5:44pm
I've uploaded a build for Linux off the v2.4.x branch.

13/03/2020 9:14pm
Thanks for this new build, but unfortunately no images are displayed.
Is there any dependency that needs to be installed?
Geoff
16/03/2020 3:11am
My experience was somewhat the opposite on the images display. After upgrading from Ubuntu 16.x to version 18.04 my older version of InScribe no longer displayed icons at the top of the main window. After updating to the latest InScribe build they all displayed fine again.

What I *do* have a still ongoing issue with is that I cannot seem to make the scribe file executable. I performed a chmod +x on the file from the command line, and also checked off the "allow executing file as program" box under permissions. But no matter what, every time I double-click on the scribe file I get a "Cannot display scribe" type message. I managed this issue in short order initially with the older versions of Scribe and Ubuntu.
fret
16/03/2020 7:35am
Thanks for this new build, but unfortunately no images are displayed.
Is there any dependency that needs to be installed?

There shouldn't be on recent Linux versions. I'm testing on Ubuntu 18. Which version of Linux do you have?

I can look at bundling known good versions of the image libraries to make sure they work and reduce the chance of missing dependencies.
rabbo51
17/03/2020 5:29am
I'm using xubuntu 18.04
I send two screenshots of the same email, the first one displayed with i-scrbe v2.3.16, the second one with i-scribe v2.4.12.
I hope you can see both of them

file:///home/i-scribe-v2.3.16.png

file:///home/i-scribe-v2.4.12.png
rabbo51
17/03/2020 5:51am
Unfortunately they are not visible enough and I don't know how to attach the files.
Geoff
17/03/2020 7:11am
Adding to my post above in this thread: The new build appears to be unstable.

When I try to add a contact, the contact popup window freezes. Forcing it to close then closes the whole program. Also, in text view mode writing or viewing an email I find I am getting random HTML type rendering, like underlined or colored text. Those a just two examples.

Going to try an older build, between the previous one I used (which did not display icons) and the most recent one.
fret
17/03/2020 1:57pm
I send two screenshots of the same email, the first one displayed with i-scrbe v2.3.16, the second one with i-scribe v2.4.12.
I hope you can see both of them

Just upload them on imgur and then paste the imgur links here.
rabbo51
17/03/2020 10:57pm
This is the link of the photo: https://imgur.com/a/Q6bUWUY.
On the left there's the i-scribe 2.4.12 version,
on the right there's the i-scribe 2.3.16 version
fret
18/03/2020 2:51pm
Thanks rabbo51, that works. I have been looking into this and I actual build the image libraries in statically so no dependencies need to be installed for it to work. However as everyone can see it doesn't work. I did see some error complaining about version mismatches in the stdout log when I was testing. But I still haven't found out what's causing that. Some errors get printed to the console. So you might find that useful to have open when trying to view the email in question.

As to stability issues I'm finding the Contact window is very slow to open, somewhere in the order of 1500ms, so I'm also looking into that. It might be related to the hang that Geoff is seeing.

This week is super busy, as I'm setting up a live streaming setup for an organization I work with. So that we can gather online rather than in person now that the limit in my country is 100 people. But rest assured I will get back to you both with some fixes in a build sometime in the next week or 2.