Thread

Index > Scribe > Filters in 1.89_test2
Author/Date Filters in 1.89_test2
chris
04/05/2006 10:16pm
Reference is made to http://www.memecode.com/forums/view.php?id=4967, but since that post doesn't carry a title, I decided to open a new thread.

The two new tick-boxes for filters (Incoming and Outgoing mail) look promising, however they don't save their settings. I have tried both - editing an existing filter and creating a new one (btw, the cursor still doesn't hop to the Name field during filter creation, pity ...). In both cases a tick in either box is not maintained after saving and closing.

Also, I couldn't find the announced new command "Filter the current selection", which I was very much looking forward to. Ideally coupled with a hotkey to be able to archive a mail immediately after reading it :-) Or maybe in a right-click menu item ("run filters on this mail")?

On a different note (and I really don't want to be appear only pickering!), the two new features of showing arriving mails immediately, and the reversed order of mails on the server work very well and are really an asset! Thx for that.

What about the blinking envelope - did you change your mind on that one?

Cheers
Chris
fret
05/05/2006 12:35am
The two new tick-boxes for filters (Incoming and Outgoing mail) look promising, however they don't save their settings. I have tried both - editing an existing filter and creating a new one (btw, the cursor still doesn't hop to the Name field during filter creation, pity ...). In both cases a tick in either box is not maintained after saving and closing.

Ok, thats just a bug. If you use the checkboxes in the list of filters (main window) it DOES save the setting (I think *fingers crossed*).

And... to my shame... the "outgoing" checkbox is not connected to anything useful yet, however I will remedy that shortly.

Also, I couldn't find the announced new command "Filter the current selection", which I was very much looking forward to. Ideally coupled with a hotkey to be able to archive a mail immediately after reading it :-) Or maybe in a right-click menu item ("run filters on this mail")?

I didn't get around to that for test2. You see there are a number of sizeable changes and bug fixes that other people need and I wanted to get some users testing those changes sooner rather than later. So I made the release anyway for their sake.

Which hotkey would you like as default for the filter current selection?

On a different note (and I really don't want to be appear only pickering!), the two new features of showing arriving mails immediately, and the reversed order of mails on the server work very well and are really an asset! Thx for that.

Exactly, thats what I wanted to get out there ASAP.

What about the blinking envelope - did you change your mind on that one?

Not really, because I like the idea in principle, however when I actually looked into implementing this it became obvious that the left click on tray icon action has already been tasked with something. Currently:

• Single Left Click: Opens the main window and brings to front. Required to show the window when the minimize to tray option is used.
  • Double Left Click: Opens the first mail in the the new mail list.
  • Right Click: Context menu full of contacts and some common commands.

So I started thinking about persuing like Ctrl-Left Click or something but for technical reasons it wasn't working out very easily, and I didn't like it being so obscure anyway.

Your more than welcome to weigh in with an opinion. What user action could be used?
chris
05/05/2006 6:50pm
If you use the checkboxes in the list of filters (main window) it DOES save the setting
Confirm it does :-) Wasn't even aware that these settings could be changed in that view - great idea, goes much faster! And so the filter system works like I wanted, thx!

the "outgoing" checkbox is not connected to anything useful yet
Well, at least there is an intention ;-) I am still hoping for an automated filter-creation with contacts - see my earlier post or ask me for details if you want.

Which hotkey would you like as default for the filter current selection?
I would suggest F8

Your more than welcome to weigh in with an opinion. What user action could be used?
I wasn't aware about the single left click action, but I find it good. Presumably for users who do automated regular check and minimize to tray - I can't afford that luxury with my analog connection :-(

What I would suggest is a context-based single left click action: while the prog is in tray mode, single left click should - as it does now - take it out of there and bring it to the front. If it is not in the tray, however, single left click should just make the icon stop blinking.

I thinks, this way everybody would be served, what is your opinion?

Cheers
Chris