Thread

Index > Scribe > Feature requests and improvements
Author/Date Feature requests and improvements
Michael
19/04/2006 3:35pm
Hello,

First of all, maybe the forum (or the site) could have some session just for feature requests/ideas/improvements. Then all requests/improvements could be easily be seen and discussed. Maybe someone has already had an idea or made a request, and I am only repeating it.

I have some ideas/requests, which I have found myself and/or read in other posts, so I am listing them here, so we can see them all.

1. Preview Window:

a) Newer message headers could be downloaded first. Frequently I need to keep messages on the server at my work, and need only to see newer ones.

b) Messages could be show in Inbox as soon as they arrive, instead of having to wait for all messages to arrive and then they all appear in the Inbox at once

(these two I mentioned are how it is in The Bat!, and it's really a big help)

2. Merging/Importing/Exporting Mail

I carry a copy of inScribe on my pen-drive. And when I'm away, I add new contacts and receive new messages. But once I'm home, I want them all on my PC, and I can clean the copy on my pendrive. There are no tools to synchronize/merge folders, so I have to copy from one Scribe to the other one. But:

a) To merge mail, I have to copy a mail folder on to the Desktop (in Windows), and from the Desktop to the other copy of Scribe. And then remove duplicates. Not an issue, but maybe could be better. I haven't tried in Linux, yet.

3. Merging/Importing/Exporting Contacts

I can't copy groups (a folder) of contacts. I have to copy contacts individually, as VCF files. But there is no way to know which contacts are unique in one instance of Scribe. So I would have to copy ALL contacts. But then, I can't remove duplicate Contacts. So I am stuck.

Ideas:

a) Add the possibility of copying a Folder of Contacts, or individual contacts straight to another instance of Scribe;
b) Add the possibility of removing duplicate contacts;
c) Add a "DATE Edited" field to the COntacts. So one can sort them by Date, and quickly see which are the new ones.

4. Account Status/Log window

The Log window shows all the communication that's going on between Scribe and the servers. But the new messages automatically disappear out orf view.

Ideas:

a) Add Auto-Scroll to the window, so one doesn't have to keep scrolling to watch the messages. Very useful when trying to figure out a communication problem with a server. OR,

b) Scroll window in reverse (new messages on top). Probably confusing, so a) should be better and easier.

5. Composing New Message

a) FROM field is always hidden by default, and one must click on the "+" to expand it, all times. Once the user has chosen to view it, it could be always there, on all new messages. It is very useful when using multiple accounts, to make sure you're using the correct one. (this could be a whole new topic: accounts could have their own groups of folders, etc...)

b) Reply-To field is not there: maybe you would like people to reply to another address. But this can't be set when writing a message - one has to go to the account settings. If a Reply To field is added, then users can change it when composing the message.

6. Message Templates

a) I created one nice templeate, and put it in the Templates folder, so I can use it to write to groups, etc. But Scribe DOM fields don't work there. The DOM field only work in the templates for replying and forwarding, set up in the General tab, in the Options menu. It would be great if the Scribe DOM fields work in any template. Specially for recipient names, dates, etc.

I think that's all. Comments welcome.

ML
fret
20/04/2006 12:16am
First of all, maybe the forum (or the site) could have some session just for feature requests/ideas/improvements. Then all requests/improvements could be easily be seen and discussed. Maybe someone has already had an idea or made a request, and I am only repeating it.

I expect people to use the bugzilla db for official trackable feature requests. The forums are just discussion.

1. Preview Window:
a) Newer message headers could be downloaded first. Frequently I need to keep messages on the server at my work, and need only to see newer ones.
b) Messages could be show in Inbox as soon as they arrive, instead of having to wait for all messages to arrive and then they all appear in the Inbox at once

These are things I've planned already for the next release or 2.

2. Merging/Importing/Exporting Mail

Already agreed to that request :)

3. Merging/Importing/Exporting Contacts

I think this will be mostly covered by the export to mail2 functionality I'm planning. A de-duplicate contacts function is something I've never thought of. I guess I've never needed it. I'm a little vague on how you expect it to work? Would it just compare firstname/lastname? or only match email addresses? It's not trivial to compare to contacts. Even though on the surface it appears so.

4. Account Status/Log window

a) I don't like that idea because if the user is looking at a specific bunch of lines and some new lines come in causing the view to scroll to the bottom then it interrupts them. I think it's a little enough used feature to have options / advanced functionality.

b) non intuitive... :(

5. Composing New Message

a) I'm still meditating on what I'd like to the whole To/From fields to look like. I've had enough complaints about it now to do something different. But I can't decide what is going to work best. At the moment I'm thinking just the one panel, showing both from and to, in that order, but so that it doesn't take up vast amounts of screen real estate the recipient entry box has to disappear. I'm thinking of ways of intergrating it into the To list box somehow, like making it into a data grid control and still have the contact DB drop down appear. But it's messy to code and I'm still hoping for a clean way of doing it without resorting to hacking the listbox. The from will be a combobox for InScribe with the different accounts in the drop down. Similar to the current setup. i.Scribe will most likely be the same, except with no options in the drop down.

b) I'm not sure how I'd like the reply-to to work, so I think I'll leave that for another time.

Even as it is chances are I'll leave frigging with the To/From fields to test3.

6. Message Templates

Until I have a "Reply With Template" function the DOM fields don't make sense in templates. I admit that function would be nice. How are you expecting the templates to instantiate the DOM fields if your creating a new email from a template? There is no "source email" to reference.

Btw if you use a filter to reply to a email with a template the DOM field DO work. But that was specifically coded to work.

fret
20/04/2006 12:30am
FYI blog post
Michael
24/04/2006 1:12am
How do you quote other people's messages? No buttons. Any code?

And why don't I get the mail notifications?

On with the message:

> Fret: I expect people to use the bugzilla db for official trackable feature
> requests. The forums are just discussion.

Sorry. I thought BugZilla was only for bugs, not for requests as well.

> I think this [merging contacts] will be mostly covered by the export to mail2
> functionality I'm planning... A de-duplicate contacts function is something
> I've never thought of...

If a tool will be specially developed, then the too to erase duplicate Contacts may not be needed at all then. But the idea would be name/surname, in principal. Or selected by user. Then user can see duplicates and choose which one(s) to remove/keep.

> 4. Account Status/Log window

> I don't like that idea [of auto-scroll] because if the user is looking at a
> specific bunch of lines and some new lines come in causing the view to scroll
> to the bottom then it interrupts them...

Makes sense. I can live without it.

> 5. Composing New Message

> I'm still meditating... At the moment I'm thinking just the one panel,
> showing both from and to, in that order, but so that it doesn't take up vast
> amounts of screen real estate the recipient entry box has to disappear...

Or use the "+" button to show/hide them.

> I'm thinking of ways of intergrating...

I'll have to think more on this one.

> 6. Message Templates

> Until I have a "Reply With Template" function the DOM fields don't make sense
> in templates. I admit that function would be nice. How are you expecting the
> templates to instantiate the DOM fields if your creating a new email from a
> template? There is no "source email" to reference.

For instance, when I right-click on a contact or group of contacts, to create several messages at once for that group (right-click -> use template).

But just as an example, in The Bat! one can select a template while composing a message (by means of a typed code and <CTRL><SPACE>, or have the template fields be updated while composing the message. A button or keyboard shortcut could be an idea.

> Btw if you use a filter to reply to a email with a template the DOM field DO
> work. But that was specifically coded to work.

Hmmm, I'll have to test that.

Thanks, and sorry for bothering and/or misusing the discussion forum.

ML
fret
24/04/2006 1:58am
How do you quote other people's messages? No buttons. Any code?

I've added hints for that to the forum post page.

And why don't I get the mail notifications?

I don't know. But I tested them and I'm getting notifications.

Thanks, and sorry for bothering and/or misusing the discussion forum.

Don't worry, the forum is here for this sort of stuff. I don't mind.
KevMc
09/06/2006 7:38pm
A feature I'd love is to Send/Receive new mail from the tray icon.. right click and pick send receive.. maybe even have the subject of unread mail appear in the right click menu to allow the mail to be displayed directly

KevMc
09/06/2006 9:07pm
oh another one that comes to mind is an option to suppress the messagebox saying there is no mail in the outbox to send