Thread

Index > Scribe > How to add datetime of a received mail when replying it?
Author/Date How to add datetime of a received mail when replying it?
rio
09/07/2002 12:04am
Hi

Thanks for the iScribe. May I ask how can I add the datetime of a received mail when I reply it, such as "You wrote on 9/7/2002 11:08:14a"?
fReT
09/07/2002 2:27am
There will be support for reply/forwarding XML in the next few months. Similar to the signature XML that already exists. I'm working done my list of priorities but there some major features to implement before I get around to that.

The main one that has to come before the reply/forward XML is a simple DOM (Document Object Model) for Scribe where script like functionality can be added, and it can address objects like the C++ code can... well at least to a limited degree.

And sometime after that I'll probably work on puttin a UI on the XML to make it easier to configure, probably like the Foxmail UI.
rio
09/07/2002 5:03am
Thanks for the reply and the news about the future enhancements. I'm looking forward to try it. :)
Michael Crocker
15/07/2002 11:29am
Although this probably isn't InScribe's fault, just thought I would mention it here because if you do add code that extracts the time sent it would look awkward replying to someone's message telling them it was sent hours earlier than it was. Maybe you could have it just pull the time out of the DATE header exactly as sent without adjusting it for time zone difference. The other issue with the Date Sent column sorting the messages incorrectly is annoying but not a big deal.

The following incoming message shows as 6:46:33p in Date Sent, but was actually sent at 11:46p. I'm not sure why the difference, unless it's because there is no entry such as "-0400" in the DATE: header, and the Inscribe program subtracts the 5hrs from it based on my system time. If so, then I suppose it's the fault of the AOL mailer that fails to specify the GMT relative time difference in the DATE: header. (My system time is set to -0500 GMT [=EST], and automatically adjusted for daylight savings [clock is advanced an hour but the time zone is not changed], so messages I send out with Inscribe have -0500 even though there is just 4hrs difference between EDT and GMT.)

Headers from incoming message:
Return-Path: <...>
Delivered-To: ...
Received: (qmail 3159 invoked from network); 15 Jul 2002 03:45:23 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO imo-r10.mx.aol.com) (152.163.225.106)
by 0 with SMTP; 15 Jul 2002 03:45:23 -0000
Received: from
by imo-r10.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v32.21.) id ...;
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
Message-ID: <...@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:46:33 EDT
fReT
15/07/2002 8:16pm
You've hi-lighted a few issues here that I need to address.

• Extraction of the sent date may be faulty.
  • Scribe should take into account daylight savings as well as timezone when sending.

When I originally wrote in the timezone adjust it seemed to work well for me, my messages reordered themselves into a logical fashion. This is in lew of a proper threading system. Which I have yet to implement. However I am aware of a pretty bullet proof algorithm for threading email.

Is the timezone adjust facility worth having if it worked correctly?
Michael Crocker
17/07/2002 4:33am
AFAIK, the Time Zone adjust works fine for me except on headers that don't specify a +/- GMT time difference, and I don't blame your code for that. I guess if you can interpret stuff like "EDT" as "-0400" then maybe you can handle those too. But it's worth having even if some idiots somewhere find a way to muck it up. The other thing I mentioned about my system leaving the time zone at -0500 even though it's -4 on daylight savings is a Windows issue, which could be argued to be correct either way.