Thread

Index > Scribe > 'Only send through this account' not working with two similar accounts
Author/Date 'Only send through this account' not working with two similar accounts
minnie
11/04/2017 10:32am
Inscribe: 2.1 build 41, Windows 7

Situation: I have two accounts where the SMTP server authenticates with the same account, say xyz@gmail.com with password abc. Account 1 has an smtp server of smtp.gmail.com on port 465, and account 2 has an smtp server of 127.0.0.1 on port 32465. Both account have "only send through this account" checked on the identity page.

If I try to send through account 2, the message attempts to go out through account 1(even when account 1 is disabled).

Account 2 uses GPGrelay to encrypt, and then goes on through gmail, so if you can answer the other minnie post, I don't really need this one fixed.

11/04/2017 10:48am
Related to this, the default send account is account 1, but when a new message is started, account 2 is selected by default.
fret
12/04/2017 10:15am
If I try to send through account 2, the message attempts to go out through account 1
Outgoing accounts are selected via the From address in the email. If you have 2 accounts setup with the same email address in the Identity tab, Scribe won't be able to distinguish between them correctly. Is that the case here?

even when account 1 is disabled
That sounds like a bug. I will investigate.

Related to this, the default send account is account 1, but when a new message is started, account 2 is selected by default.
The account used to create new email is determined by what is selected in the "Identity" menu on the main window. Not what SMTP server is selected in the options. Does that make sense?

12/04/2017 12:05pm
Outgoing accounts are selected via the From address in the email. If you have 2 accounts setup with the same email address in the Identity tab, Scribe won't be able to distinguish between them correctly. Is that the case here?
Yes, that is the case, and I can get around it by using name1+gpg@isp1.com which resolves to the same thing but is different for Scribe.

But it seems like a bug to me: In the compose window the account to send from is specified and "only send through this account" is checked, so you shouldn't need to look for an account to send from - none of the other accounts should ever enter the calculation.

The account used to create new email is determined by what is selected in the "Identity" menu on the main window. Not what SMTP server is selected in the options. Does that make sense?
Yes, but then is there any meaning for the "default send account" option on the accounts tab of the settings? I suppose maybe it has meaning if you don't check the "only send through this account" boxes?
fret
13/04/2017 11:57am
Yes, but then is there any meaning for the "default send account" option on the accounts tab of the settings? I suppose maybe it has meaning if you don't check the "only send through this account" boxes?
Yes that is exactly how it works:

if (Identity of from address has "only send through this account" set)
{
    Send through that account's SMTP
}
else
{
    Send through default SMTP (as configured in the account tab)
}

A lot of people have an enforced SMTP server via their ISP, so all accounts have to go out through the default server.
fret
13/04/2017 11:58am
so you shouldn't need to look for an account to send from - none of the other accounts should ever enter the calculation.
I think you might be right about that. It's fixable I think... but I'd have to check what the code is doing.
minnie
28/04/2017 7:46am
Works for me in 2.1.42, thanks. Assuming I remember what was going wrong before....
minnie
28/04/2017 8:14am
Forget that last post, doesn't work in 2.1.42, I still had the workaround in place (which works fine for me).
fret
28/04/2017 10:35am
I know it doesn't work, I haven't fixed anything in relation to this (yet).
Axel
10/05/2017 5:47am
Works fine for me on 2.1.41 and 2.1.43.