Thread

Index > Scribe > feature request: context menu to add Sender to an existing filter
Author/Date feature request: context menu to add Sender to an existing filter
Scott
24/01/2016 3:24am
Right clicking on an email, brings up a context menu which contains an item "Create Filter > Filter email from xxx@y.com". Usually, I would like to add the sender to an existing filter.

Unfortunately, this is not a straightforward task. This requires opening the email to copy the from email address, finding and opening the appropriate filter and then adding the copied email address to the Conditions.

This task would be easier if the context menu contained items for:
- "Copy from email address to clipboard"
- "Add to existing filter > <filter list>". The logic in the conditions can get snarly, so dropping it at the end with an AND condition would be sufficient. The conditions could be reworked from there. Even popping open the filter with the email address in the clipboard would work for me.
fret
24/01/2016 6:10pm
For the next release:

Scott
24/01/2016 10:40pm
Perfect! Thanks.
Scott
22/02/2016 6:19am
After using this feature, I'm thinking that it would be better if adding to an existing filter would use the OR clause as it will be adding the sender to a list of other senders. Using the AND clause just breaks the filter.
fret
22/02/2016 7:39am
After using this feature, I'm thinking that it would be better if adding to an existing filter would use the OR clause as it will be adding the sender to a list of other senders. Using the AND clause just breaks the filter.
The use of AND / OR is up to you. The "add to existing filter" script doesn't change the parent node in the filter, just adds a new condition. So you can have whatever you want as the parent node... change it with the "..." button.
Scott
22/02/2016 2:09pm
Ah, you're right.
When a new filter is created with the "New filter for email from...", the default is AND. Perhaps a default of OR would be a better choice so that it can be added to more easily. Although, it's not a big deal.