Thread

Index > Scribe > Wow, I have a situation here
Author/Date Wow, I have a situation here
Steve
16/07/2014 9:37am
I am running the commercial version of InScribe, I can't tell you what version because I can't start it. This has been running just fine for months. Tonight, my pc shut down unexpectedly. Now when I try to start my email client, it comes to a screen that asks me to select a language. I select English, and then I get a screen that says:

InScribe is copyright Matthew Allen 1999-2014

Please enter the name you used to purchase this software and the key that you recieved:

There are fields to enter Purchaser Name and Software Key. I have no idea what to enter here because I can not open the email client.

The last entry in the crashdata file is this:

Unhandled Exception
Code: c0000005
Date: 7/15/2014 6:27:53p
Description: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
10016C02: C:\Email\Scribe\Lgi.dll Offset: 0x1754 (ResFactory::Res_Write)
75251287: C:\windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll Offset: 0x4C (itow_s)
7692338A: C:\windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll Offset: 0x12 (BaseThreadInitThunk)
773D9EF2: C:\windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Offset: 0x63 (RtlInitializeExceptionChain)
------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP!
fret
16/07/2014 10:05am
You can check the version by right clicking on Scribe.exe and selecting properties. Then on the details tab there is a File Version with some number next to it. It would be good to know what that is.

Secondly, you may find a crash dump in c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Scribe\Scribe???.dmp

If you can get that to me eventually I might be able to find the crash.

While you're in that folder you should find a ScribeOptions.bak file, which is a backup of your options, including your software key. Rename ScribeOptions.xml to ScribeOptionsOld.xml and then rename ScribeOptions.bak to ScribeOptions.xml

You might be able to start the client at that point. I would just email you the software key again but if you don't have a different way of reading your email (like a web interface) then that isn't going to help. Worst comes to worst I'll give you a temporary key here.
fret
16/07/2014 10:09am
Did you register with a different email?

Because I'm looking for your purchase and can't find it under that email or your first name. I want to regenerate your key and email it to you (You have a gmail address and will be able to access it using the web interface @ gmail.com)
fret
19/07/2014 9:35pm
How did you go with the key I sent?