Thread
Index > Scribe > Scribe.txt file is HUGE!!!
Author/Date Scribe.txt file is HUGE!!!
kinchloe
29/06/2013 8:46pm
I have no idea what is going on but this morning (06/29/2013) Scribe just chokes with the 'Not Responding' message. It will just sit there consuming CPU availibility. For whatever reason (none really) I just looked in the directory where I installed Scribe. Well, sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb was the Scribe.txt file at a whopping size of 7,764,198,049 bytes! Needless to say there is nothing that will open this file since it is just too huge.

I guess my questions are: 1. What would make this file blow up like that? 2. Is it safe to delete it?
fret
29/06/2013 9:13pm
It's just a log file... totally safe to delete.

If you don't for many years... yes it can get large. Some builds are more verbose than others. Sorry about that.
kinchloe
30/06/2013 9:53pm
Well that file blew up in real time not over time. If I navigate to the Scribe install directory, delete the existing Scribe.txt file and finally run Scribe.exe I can watch Scribe.txt be created and just grow and grow; essentially without bound. Eventually I have to pull the plug via Task Manager. I've looked at the file and it appears to repeat the same two blocks of text over and over...some loop it can't get out of maybe? See below for the actual text but the part(s) that keep repeating are the '/* Generic */' and the '/* MOBILE SHOW/DESKTOP HIDE */' sections. What about a re-install? Will I loose my folders and filters?

----[Excerpt from Scribe.txt....]-----------------------------------------------------------
Selecting portable mode based on options file path.
.\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7253 - '/Templates' doesn't exist.
.\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7280 - Default folder 'Templates' doesn't exist.
.\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7259 - No option 'Folder-9'
.\Code\ScribeApp.cpp:7280 - Default folder 'Spam' doesn't exist.
Stuck at ', (max-device-width: 480px) {
* { -webkit-text-size-adjust:none; }

/* Generic */

table[id=wrapper] { width:100%!important; margin:0 auto !important; }
table[id=wrapper] .main { width:100% !important; padding:10px !important; }
td[class=imageblock] { display:block !important; width:100% !important; }
table[id=wrapper] .hide, img[class=hide], td[class=hide] { width:0 !important; display:none !important; }
*[class="shrink"] { width: 300px !important; }


font[class=DJRVerbStyle]{font-size:17px; word-wrap:break-word;text-align:center!important;line-height:17px !important;}
td[class=AddlApplyButton], td[class=AddlJobLocation], td[class=AddlJobTiltle] {display:block !important; width:100% !important;font-size:16px !important;text-align:center !important;line-height:20px !important;padding-bottom:4px !important;}
td[class=middlecontainer] , img[class=middlecontainer],table[class=middlecontainer] { width:260px !important;}
font[class=CTA] {font-size:23px !important;text-align:center;display:block;line-height:26px;}
td[class=jobsdetails],table[class=jobsdetails] , img[class=jobsdetails]{width:222px;text-align:center !important;}
td[class=joboftheday]{padding-top:15px;padding-bottom:15px;width:222px;text-align:center !important; }
font[class=bigfont] {font-size:16px !important;;text-align:center !important;display:block!important;line-height:20px !important;}
font[class=month] {font-size:13px !important; padding:5px !important;}
font[class=day] {font-size:21.5px !important;}
font[class=logo] {font-size:44px !important;}
p[class=preference] {font-size:16px !important;padding-top:20px!important;padding-bottom:20px!important;}

/* MOBILE SHOW/DESKTOP HIDE */
*[class].mobileDisplayOuter { width:300px !important; display:block !important; height:inherit !important;overflow:visible !important;float:none !important; max-height:inherit !important; position:static !important; top:auto !important;}
}
'
Stuck at ', (max-device-width: 480px) {
* { -webkit-text-size-adjust:none; }
fret
01/07/2013 3:00pm
Don't reinstall. It's a bug in the CSS parser. You can temporarily disable HTML rendering by opening ScribeOptions.xml in a text editor and changing the setting called "DefAlt" from 1 to 0. Then you should be able to open the application without it hanging.

There will be a HTML email at the beginning of the Inbox that has the suspect HTML it in, you could forward that to me by dropping it over a new email and I'll have a look. I might be able to resolve the issue just from the log snippit you sent, but the original HTML would be better.

Sorry for the hassle.
fret
02/07/2013 10:32pm
I've put up a new build with a fix for the CSS parser bug. If you are using iScribe you can download here or use go to the InScribe download site if you're using that.
kinchloe
03/07/2013 5:32pm
I probably should have just waited for your reply but I ended up editing the mail database using 'SQLite Database Browser'. All I did was remove all the email that was received on 06/29 (all two of them) and voila...all was right with the world!

Of course I had backed up the database before mucking with it (I guess I've learned a little something over the years). So I'm sending you an email with both as attachments.

Thanks for your time in tracking down and fixing the problem.
Reply